MiaFarrow.org

Humanitarian and Advocacy Information

mia farrow

mia farrow's images on flickr

|    DARFUR ARCHIVES
|    PHOTOS     
|    
LINKS     
|    
EDITORIALS     
|    
WHAT YOU CAN DO     
|    
DIVESTING
|    FEATURES     
|    
JOINT STATEMENT         
|    VIDEOS
|    POWERPOINT

Follow Mia's blog

Click here to see my photo journal from Central African Republic and Chad
Read "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" by Ursula K. Le Guin
View a timeline of events in the humanitarian crisis in Darfur
 

Archives

  • December 2017
  • January 2013
  • July 2012
  • December 2011
  • November 2011
  • October 2011
  • September 2011
  • August 2011
  • July 2011
  • June 2011
  • May 2011
  • April 2011
  • March 2011
  • February 2011
  • January 2011
  • December 2010
  • November 2010
  • October 2010
  • September 2010
  • August 2010
  • July 2010
  • June 2010
  • May 2010
  • April 2010
  • March 2010
  • February 2010
  • January 2010
  • December 2009
  • November 2009
  • October 2009
  • September 2009
  • August 2009
  • July 2009
  • June 2009
  • May 2009
  • April 2009
  • March 2009
  • February 2009
  • January 2009
  • December 2008
  • November 2008
  • October 2008
  • September 2008
  • August 2008
  • July 2008
  • June 2008
  • May 2008
  • April 2008
  • March 2008
  • September 2007

« Newer Posts | Older Posts »

February 4, 2009

Muhajeria

February 3, 2009 Sudan Tribune
Taking into consideration the safety of civilians in the disputed Muhageriya, the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) has offered to pull out its troops from the southern Darfur town. Ahmed Hussein Adam, the official spokesperson of the rebel movement, said they are ready to withdraw their troops from Muhageriya provided the town is declared a demilitarized zone under the control of the hybrid peacekeeping force.

He added the Sudanese army or the former rebels led by Minni Minniawi should remain away from the town. But the Sudanese government has immediately rejected the offer saying there is "no room for conditions from JEM."
A bloodbath could be hours away. Please call 1800-genocide. Ask for the White House. Tell President Obama we cannot stand by and cannot watch as thousands more civilians are killed.

Muhajeria was previously ravaged by Khartoum's forces in October 2007.
Here's how The New York Times (October 17, 2007) described what took
place then: "[W]itnesses said Sudanese government troops and their
allied militias had killed more than 30 civilians, slitting the throats
of several men praying at a mosque and shooting a 5-year-old boy in the
back as he tried to run away. ... [T]wo columns of uniformed government
troops, along with dozens of militiamen not in uniform, surrounded the
town around noon on Oct. 8 and stormed the market." Muhajeria
subsequently came under the erratic and often tyrannical control of the
forces of Minni Minawi, a one-time rebel leader who switched sides in
May 2006, signing the Darfur Peace Agreement and allying himself with
the Khartoum regime. Several weeks ago, the Justice and Equality
Movement--a rebel group that did not sign the agreement and continues to
fight Khartoum and its Arab militia allies--seized control of the town
from Minawi's forces. The regime regards this as an unacceptable
military setback, and is apparently now laying the groundwork for an
assault on the town.
 
 
«Newer Posts | Older Posts »