MiaFarrow.org |
Humanitarian and Advocacy Information |
Archives
- December 2017
- January 2013
- July 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- September 2007
July 26, 2009 |
Darfuris could be excluded from next year's election,
At the United Nations yesterday Alain Le Roy, Head of UN Peacekeeping, said millions of people in Darfur who have been displaced by the violence may not get to vote. Last month Sudan said its nationwide elections would be delayed for two months until April 2010. This is the second time the date has been postponed. Officials in South Sudan dispute the validity of the new census results.Le Roy said: "The contested census, large-scale displacement and volatility - particularly in the area bordering Chad - create enormous risks that the people of Darfur will not be in a position to participate in the electoral process. " The election results will have an "enormous impact" on the distribution of political power in Darfur. Survivors of the government attacks upon civilian villages have been languishing in wretched camps across Darfur and eastern Chad since 2003-2004.