MiaFarrow.org

Humanitarian and Advocacy Information

mia farrow

mia farrow's images on flickr

|    DARFUR ARCHIVES
|    PHOTOS     
|    
LINKS     
|    
EDITORIALS     
|    
WHAT YOU CAN DO     
|    
DIVESTING
|    FEATURES     
|    
JOINT STATEMENT         
|    VIDEOS
|    POWERPOINT

Follow Mia's blog

Click here to see my photo journal from Central African Republic and Chad
Read "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" by Ursula K. Le Guin
View a timeline of events in the humanitarian crisis in Darfur
 

Archives

« Newer Posts | Older Posts »

August 7, 2008

Voices from the camps-eastern Chad Miriam Djali Gassi

I was living in Jabarra area, south of Karnoye. My village was completely destroyed by bombs and janjaweed. Before the attacks we had heard about the fighting but it was far away. Then, some of our community went to the market and they never returned. That was a terrible time.

We loved our people. Then we heard that the Janjaweed killed them.
One day I was sitting in my kitchen, making food for my children. A woman ran into my home and said janjaweed were surrounding the village. I ran out and saw men all around us shooting guns. I was terrified. Then Antonov planes came, three of them, one was camouflage another was painted white. Janjaweed controlled the area. They killed the men and took the animals.

Terrible times. I cannot explain.

Some women and children ran away into the hills. We had to leave the wounded. All the men and half of the children were killed.

After this we walked at night to Ablaha (sp?) but that village too was destroyed, burned. Bodies everywhere. We went to Karnoye but it was not safe. So we went to Chad. On our journey to Chad we used donkeys. You can always find donkeys. We had just a little bit of sorghum.. We found water in the wadis. There were 25 of us. We walked at night and hid in the bush during the days. It took us nine days.

In our village there were more than 100. From this village there are no men alive. All the children are orphaned.

Now we are living here, in Zone A. But I don't have any children. All my children were boys and they were killed. The women cry for their children and their lost ones.

If Omar Al-Bashir were killed we would go back to our homelands. If he goes to court we will be able to return. I heard about the court taking him but Bashir is strong. I think it is just talk.
We ask the world community to send Omar Al-bashir to Court. Then take money from the oil to pay for our lost homes and our animals. But what can pay for our lost families?

To those who say there should be peace before justice, I disagree. There can be no peace with Bashir. He should pay for what he did to us."
 
 
«Newer Posts | Older Posts »