|Humanitarian and Advocacy Information
|| DARFUR ARCHIVES|
|Click here to see my photo journal from Central African Republic and Chad|
|Read "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" by Ursula K. Le Guin|
|View a timeline of events in the humanitarian crisis in Darfur|
|June 15, 2010|
The U.N. reports nearly 600 people have died in rebel and tribal fighting in Sudan’s Darfur region in May, the bloodiest month in more than two years.
This week, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court told the United Nations Security Council that Sudanese Government-sponsored attacks against civilians continue in Darfur, with thousands of people freshly displaced from their villages and sexual violence against women also widespread, today as he called for tougher action to improve the situation in the war-wracked region.
War crimes are still taking place in Darfur, seven years after fighting between Government forces, allied militiamen known as the Janjaweed and rebel groups first flared.
“In February, immediately after the signing of a peace agreement and public commitments to peace, 100,000 civilians were forcibly displaced by Sudanese armed forces in the Jebel Marra,” he said, referring to a mountainous area of central Darfur. Mr. Moreno-Ocampo said the modus operandi was the same as that used earlier in the conflict – “air bombardments followed by attacks of Sudanese armed forces integrating militia/Janjaweed.” He added that gender crimes “remain unabated.”
Mr. Moreno-Ocampo said that “there is a need for an updated, comprehensive report of the UN Secretariat on the current situations in the camps and the villages. The fragmented information on the rapes and on the obstacles to humanitarian assistance must be put together to allow the international community to consider the current extent of the suffering of the civilians.”